CS&A Engineer Role overview:
Main purpose of the role:
- The Engineer is principally a hands-on design based role with a degree of team leadership within discipline
- Delivery of all discipline design and engineering to meet the requirements of the Concept Design Review & Preliminary Design Review Gate
- Engineers are the main interface between senior management and hands-on design
Key responsibilities as a CS&A Engineer…
- Development of designs to satisfy technical specifications, in liaison with client and project team.
- Check standard design calculations of designers and other engineers within the team.
- Actively contribute to design reviews, safety reviews (Risk Assessments and HAZOP’s
- Produce design documentation throughout the design process including scope of works; design calculations; method statements; risk assessments; technical files & other technical documentation to comply with design standards; safety legislation/regulatory requirements & needs of the client.
- Ensure quality and delivery of design documentation throughout the design phases.
- Compliance with safety and statutory regulations (e.g. CDM; CE etc).
- Develop cost effective technical solutions.
- Demonstrable competence gained in a design delivery position.
- Design delivery in discipline specific area through conceptual; preliminary and detail design phases.
- Knowledge of design standards and design based risk assessment would be an advantage.
Position of the CS&A Engineer within the organisation:
- Reporting to Senior and or Principal Engineers with ultimate line management responsibilities being with the Chief Engineer within your discipline
- Reports to Senior Engineer or Design Manager.
- Normally manage a project involving a team of up to 3 engineering staff, although team may be supplemented from elsewhere.
- Responsible for managing quality, progress and cost of the work undertaken by their team.
- Maybe responsible for managing project subcontracts.
- Interacts with engineers of other disciplines internally and externally.
- Supervises support staff.
- Preferably degree qualified within a relevant area of the discipline though not essential. Minimum HNC qualification or equivalent gained within a relevant area of the discipline.
- SC Cleared
- Membership of a discipline specific Institute (e.g. I MechE; I Structural Eng; CIBSE; IChemE etc).
- Experience in the role of design of process / mechanical handling plants in the nuclear environment, or other equivalent highly regulated industry
- Interfacing with CS&A / HVAC / Building Services / Process / EC&I design functions.
- Space management, relating to installation, operation and maintenance of plant and equipment.
- Development of multi-disciplinary design packages for Design Review and HAZOP assessments.
- Proven track record of successfully delivering design solutions. It is also a requirement of the position to demonstrate experience gained in a similar position ideally from a highly regulated industry. This could be from but is not limited to Defence, Pharmaceutical or Oil & Gas
- Good understanding of Statutory and safety Regulations and their appropriate utilisation.
- Proven track record within a project environment with strong organisational and interpersonal skills
- Customer/client liaison and strong commercial awareness.
- Degree Qualified in a relevant technical/engineering discipline.
- Registered with discipline specific Engineering Council.
- Expertise in the nuclear industry.
- Inspection, Installation, Commissioning.
- Management and technical delivery of medium sized design teams in the delivery of scheme / preliminary design packages.
- Experience of leading teams within a project environment would be a distinct advantage.
- Management of sub-contractors providing niche services to the design