About the role
The primary area of accountability will be to lead the commercial input into all bids and balance the companies risk vs. securing new business.
• Undertake commercial lead role supporting all bids in specific business unit.
• Review, highlight and address any commercial risk areas within contracts.
• Prepare commercial inputs to bids liaising with General Counsel for legal reviews.
• Drafting / input to requisite bid governance papers and taking through internal governance any new opportunities / significant changes.
• Manage Tender Approval Forms through internal governance as required within their delegated authority.
• To prepare for and lead an opportunity through the CN governance process and gate and coloured reviews. This will require a working appreciation and knowledge of the Business Winning process.
• This will require strong team and internal stakeholder management skills – as well as often-engaging external supply-chain/partners
• Ensuring post-tender / pre-contract submission that clarifications and customer-facing requirements are suitably met and that business delivery has a suitable handover and transfer of ownership.
The measurements of success will be:
• Commercial Scores within Bids
• Delivering of bids to schedule and budget
• Preparation of bids that pass company governance (gate) and coloured reviews
Maintenance of working practices, processes & environment consistent with Company, Regulation and Legislative safety & environmental requirements. This point should not be underestimated with bid management as they can result in extended working hours and need flexibility to meet sacrosanct deadlines.
• Experience of Projects and preferably EPC Contracts working as Main Contractor / Tier 2 is preferred in any one of the following sectors: defence, power and process, oil and gas, utilities, nuclear, construction.
• Significant experience using the NEC suite of contract documents and specifically change management, subcontract management and the management of contracts from contract award to final account.
• A good understanding of cost models/business models in relation to NEC, familiarity with accounting practices, commercial audits, forecasting and valuations
• An excellent understanding of contract terms and conditions
• Strong organisational traits and ability to respect importance of and meet deadlines
• Knowledge of the end to end Business Winning process and management system but with particular emphasis on working experience of the Gate 3 to Gate 5 phase
• Strong communicator – to underpin bid progress in engaging with all other stakeholders participating and contributing to the opportunity
• Ability to work under pressure in meeting deadlines – not just bid submission dates but also interim milestones e.g. reviews
• Practical understanding and appreciation of key components underpinning an offer (schedule, supply-chain, risk, contract terms, cost and finance models) – although relevant business functional will normally complete these actual inputs on a bid
• Experience in having a direct client liaison/interface
• Knowledge of the wider (i.e. beyond just proposal writing) Business Winning process
• Demonstrate an ability to advise and influence both internally and externally.
• Ability to challenge in a non-confrontational way.
• Positive, professional, with the ability to thrive in high-pressure situations and environment.
• Proficiency in MS Office and Adobe.
• Membership of an industry professional body.
• Qualification in a related field, a BA/BSc degree or Quantity Surveyor qualification